Saturday, September 20, 2008

What are you reading?

I sometimes get asked the question, "What are you reading?" I guess this blog is meant to answer that question and to tell you what I think about what I'm reading. Some of my other interests include movies (including movies adapted from books) and writing, so occasionally I'll address these topics as well.

So . . . What am I reading now? At the moment I'm finishing up Breaking Dawn by Stephenie Meyer. In fact, I've managed to read the whole Twilight series in the space of 2-3 months. The first I'd heard of the series was back in July when I discovered the Twilight movie trailer online. Love the book, and the series, although Twilight is the best, in my opinion. It's funny--this is also how I picked up on Harry Potter, and Lord of the Rings, to be honest. I heard about the movie first and picked up the book before the movie came out.

I always try to read the book first, before seeing the movie. I prefer going in that order, for a number of reasons. Fried Green Tomatoes? Saw the movie first and eventually read the book (Fried Green Tomatoes at the Whistle Stop Cafe), but I have to say, this is one of those rare instances for me when the movie is better than the book. And that is probably the reason why I haven't read, and will most likely never read, Big Fish. I love the movie too much. Same goes for Jurassic Park. Although I am a Michael Crichton fan, Jurassic Park is one of his books that I've never read. I remember seeing the movie in the theaters when it was first released, and it remains one of my most memorable movie experiences. However, Jurassic Park the movie can be credited for piquing my interest in Michael Crichton books in the first place. And Forrest Gump? Again, movie first. I did read the sequel, Gump & Co., and it successfully turned me off from ever reading the first one. See what I mean? I'm cursed if I don't read the book first. One rare exception to my rule may be Shoeless Joe by W.P. Kinsella, the inspiration for Field of Dreams, although I really couldn't tell you for sure because I never finished it. Perhaps I should someday. I really liked it.

Okay--so another exception to the rule would be the first Harry Potter. The other Harry Potters, Lord of the Rings, Pride and Prejudice, Emma, and To Kill a Mockingbird are all instances where I like both the books and the films and where I picked up the book first. I own some of the Harry Potter films. Prisoner of Azkaban is my favorite of the books; Goblet of Fire is my favorite of the movies. (So naturally, the fact that Cedric Diggory is also Edward Cullen is just another reason for me to look forward to the Twilight film.) I own both Emma, starring Gwyneth Paltrow, and Clueless. I also have the Colin Firth and Keira Knightley versions of Pride and Prejudice. Not to mention the Special Extended Editions of the Lord of the Rings trilogy, and the classic film of To Kill a Mockingbird with Gregory Peck.

Of course, there are those times when the movie does not do justice to the book, but I won't get into those. I'd rather wipe those from memory.

So now that I've read all the Twilight books, at least now I have a good chance of enjoying the film. What I've seen about it looks really good, so I'm not worried. :)

No comments: