Wednesday, January 14, 2009

The Long Winter

I just got done reading the Little House book of the same name as this blog post. Technically I was on the fourth book, not the sixth. But I read it anyway because wintertime has got me in the mood, and I have to tell you, it has helped me keep things in perspective. After reading the book, I feel like I’m getting off easy in this weather.

I oftentimes read a series out of order. There’s Harry Potter, of course. When I picked up the series, I started at the second book (although admittedly I skipped the first one only because I had just seen the movie), and went chronologically from there, before going back and reading the first one. I read them one after the other, until the fifth book, then I had to wait eagerly for the release of the next Potter book like everyone else.

I haven’t finished the Narnia series yet. For the longest time, I could never get past The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe. I’ve read that book and The Magician’s Nephew more than once, but I’ve never felt the need to go further, until recently when I made it about a quarter way through The Horse and His Boy before skipping to Prince Caspian when the movie was about to come out. Maybe it’s because of sequel syndrome. Most times, the sequel isn’t as good as the original, and The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe is a high point in the series. I still can’t get into The Horse and His Boy, but maybe skipping to Prince Caspian was the solution because now I’m eager to keep going.

Another fantasy series I haven’t finished is the Dark is Rising. And I started with the fourth book, The Grey King, picking it up at random one day and, honestly, not realizing it was part of a series until I brought it home. Then I read the second and third. Still haven’t read the first or last of the series, but I like it a lot and hope to get to it someday.

The very first series of books that I ever got into was the Nancy Drew books. I read them voraciously when I was younger. But I tried to read one again after not reading one for years and years, and though it brought back fond memories, I think I’ve moved past them. That’s a good thing. If anything, I will always love them for the fun memories they give and the role they had in developing my love for reading.

A Series of Unfortunate Events. I haven’t finished yet, but (gasp!) I actually am reading this one in order. I think I’m on the . . . seventh? . . . one. I love the humor and tone of this series. It’s definitely one of a kind. And after the deluge of fantasy book series, this one is so refreshing since it’s not so heavy-handed on the epic drama. They’re each fast, engrossing reads and each can stand alone as a great story in itself. I feel like I could pick up any one of them on a whim and be entertained regardless. This a strength because sometimes a series can be exhausting because of the involvement it often requires to read them. Sometimes you want to read one book and be done with it.

Oh, and can anybody say Twilight? Love it. Enough said.

So for this long stretch of winter when we’re all stuck indoors, why not pick up a new series to read, or finish ones you’ve started?

Disclaimer: I left out Lord of the Rings because Tolkien never considered it as three books, and really, it is impossible to read those books out of order.

1 comment:

3Angelbugs said...

Hi Shan,
I just found your blog. It's great!!! You should write reviews for books as a living. You are an amazing writer. You should think about writing a book someday...:) Loved all your posts. I'm reading twilight again...lol.