Tuesday, December 3, 2013

50 More Books

If you recall, I once mentioned that, years ago, I started keeping track of the books I'm reading. And I still am. (Goodreads has been a big help in this respect.) I've already commented on the first 50 books in that list, which I read from 2007 to 2010. (See books 1 through 50 here.) Well, now I'm up to 100 books. See books 51 to 100 below.

Books Read 2011–2013 (51–100)

51. Book of a Thousand Days by Shannon Hale
52. Water for Elephants by Sara Gruen
53. The Awakening (Vampire Diaries #1) by L. J. Smith
54. Walt Disney: The Triumph of the American Imagination by Neal Gabler
55. The Struggle (Vampire Diaries #2) by L. J. Smith
56. The Joy Luck Club by Amy Tan
57. The Stonekeeper (Amulet #1) by Kazu Kibuishi
58. Prom and Prejudice by Elizabeth Eulberg
59. The Hunger Games (The Hunger Games #1) by Suzanne Collins
60. Catching Fire (The Hunger Games #2) by Suzanne Collins
61. Mockingjay (The Hunger Games #3) by Suzanne Collins
62. The Help by Kathryn Stockett
63. Austenland (Austenland #1) by Shannon Hale
64. The Vampire Stalker by Allison van Diepen
65. River Secrets (Books of Bayern #3) by Shannon Hale
66. The Graveyard Book by Neil Gaiman
67. Freak, the Mighty by Rodman Philbrick
68. Little Dorrit by Charles Dickens
69. I'd Tell You I Love You, But Then I'd Have to Kill You (Gallagher Girls #1) by Ally Carter
70. Divergent (Divergent #1) by Veronica Roth
71. When You Reach Me by Rebecca Stead
72. The Lightning Thief (Percy Jackson and the Olympians #1)
73. The Last Lecture by Randy Pausch
74. Silas Marner by George Eliot
75. Midnight in Austenland (Austenland #2) by Shannon Hale
76. Abraham Lincoln, Vampire Hunter by Seth Grahame-Smith
77. The River of Doubt by Candice Millard
78. The Wishing Spell (Land of Stories #1) by Chris Colfer
79. Hotel on the Corner of Bitter and Sweet by Jamie Ford
80. The Prestige by Christopher Priest
81. Lizzie Bright and the Buckminster Boy by Gary D. Schmidt
82. Redeeming Love by Francine Rivers
83. City of Bones (Mortal Instruments #1) by Cassandra Clare
84. Emma by Jane Austen
85. A Single Shard by Linda Sue Park
86. Priceless by Robert K. Wittman
87. Sense and Sensibility by Jane Austen
88. City of Ashes (Mortal Instruments #2) by Cassandra Clare
89. Insurgent (Divergent #2) by Veronica Roth
90. The Great Fire by Jim Murphy
91. Still Me by Christopher Reeve
92. Nothing Is Impossible by Christopher Reeve
93. Cross My Heart and Hope to Spy (Gallagher Girls #2) by Ally Carter
94. Peace Like a River by Leif Enger
95. Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Sea by Jules Verne
96. Allegiant (Divergent #3) by Veronica Roth
97. The Crucible by Arthur Miller
98. The Dragonet Prophecy (Wings of Fire #1) by Tui T. Sutherland
99. The Lost Heir (Wings of Fire #2) by Tui T. Sutherland
100. The Hidden Kingdom (Wings of Fire #3) by Tui T. Sutherland

NOTES AND OBSERVATIONS:

-I'm reading faster. It took me only three years instead of four to get through this group of 50 books.

-Book series is becoming a dominant trend in the book world. On this list alone, there is Hunger Games, Divergent, Mortal Instruments, Books of Bayern, Austenland, Gallagher Girls, Wings of Fire, Vampire Diaries, Percy Jackson, and Land of Stories. I think I'll try and steer away from this a little to try and get more variety in my reading.

-For some reason, it seems I've been obsessed with Jane Austen: I've reread two of Austen's novels (Sense and Sensibility and Emma) and read a few Austen-inspired books, Elizabeth Eulberg's Prom and Prejudice and Shannon Hale's Austenland books.

-Yep. Vampire books. Mindless fun that's a remnant of my Twilight phase. But seriously, Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter is actually pretty good. However, if you're thinking of checking out The Vampire Diaries, I'd stick with the TV show.

-I think I should read more nonfiction. I've enjoyed all the nonfiction in this list (e.g., Still Me, Priceless, River of Doubt, The Great Fire, The Last Lecture, Walt Disney), and yet I never seem to read as much nonfiction versus fiction.

Funny the things you notice about yourself from just a list of titles. Like I said before, it's nothing much. Just a list. But it's still cool to think that I've now read 100 books.

Keep reading,
Shannon Jones

No comments: